Social media made good things abut advertising, and made it really easy for customers to associate with their favorite companies, brands etc. It also made it really easy for customers to complain and for everybody else to see it. It is a good thing. Yes, it is. It is always a good thing to stand your ground and complain when you've been wronged.
Most companies don't find this thing very exciting. Actually, they are quite scared of this option, because bad news spread faster. Yes, social media made it easy for complainers, but it also made it easy for you to right the wrongs and be the hero. In order to do this, of course, you need to know the most common types of complaints:
1. The First-timer - he/she complaints for the first time and is actually quite surprised he/she has to do it, because he/she never had problems with the brand before. They've never complained before and they do it on social media, because they don't know any other way to do it. They are polite and respectful when complaining. React as soon as possible and give them an answer asking politely to share more about the problem on your eMail.
2. The Customer of the year - these are the ones that need all of your attention immediately. Basically, they are customers which are happy with the brand and frequently buy the company's products or services. Spend time with them and make sure their problem is solved. Do everything you need to do.
3. The Hear Ye' Hear Ye' - these are the users that want to be heard when complaining. Not by you, but by all other users and customers. They use hashtags, they call to action, write on all your profiles - just so they can put the attention on you. Chances are they are the only one who think their problem is a major news. Act swiftly, handle the situation and forget about it.
4. The Serial one - these complain on a regular basis about everything. It just happens that today you are on their radar and they will complain about something. About anything. They can't be satisfied, so be quick and offer them a quick resolution. Most people understand that there are serial complainers, so they won't pay attention to them, but will praise you for handling the situation.
5. The One with the proofs - these are the complainers who will provide pictures or videos showing the problem. They show you exactly what the problem is and demand a solution. Answer them as soon as possible and take a moment to check out the material they provide on the problem. Address the issue accordingly.