Customer Service facts and quotes

Submitted 8/20/2012 by Level 2 Support

Remember our column in our facebook page "Customer Service Fact of The Day"? Here are some more facts and quotes that you can find useful:

- It takes 12 positive service incidents to make up for one negative incident. Source: “Understanding Customers” by Ruby Newell-Legner

- 7 out of 10 customers will do business with you again if you resolve the complaint in their favor. Source: “Understanding Customers” by Ruby Newell-Legner

- 68% of customer defection takes place because customers feel poorly treated. Source: TARP

- It can cost five times more to buy new customers than retain existing ones. Source: TARP

- For every customer who bothers to complain, 26 other customers remain silent. Source: Lee Resource Inc

- It takes 12 positive service incidents to make up for 1 negative incident. Source: Lee Resource Inc

- The average "wronged customer" will tell 8-l6 people about it. Over 20% will tell more than 20. Source: Lee Resource Inc

- 1% cut in customer service problems could generate an extra £16m in profits for a medium-sized company over 5 years.

- Why customers quit: 

1% die
3% move away
68% quit because of an attitude of indifference towards the customer by the staff.
14 % are dissatisfied with the product.
9% leave because of competitive reasons.
Source: How to win customers and keep them for life (2000) – Michael Leboeuf

- 91% of unhappy customers will not willingly do business with you again. Source: Lee Resource Inc

- Reducing customer defections can boost profits by 25-85%. In 73% of cases, the organization made no attempt to persuade dissatisfied customers to stay; even though 35% said that a simple apology would have prevented them from moving to the competition. Source: NOP

- 80% of complaints received by an organisation are likely to have poor communication as their root cause, either with the customer or within the organisation itself. Source: Unknown

- 56%-70% of the customers who complain to you will do business with you again if you resolve their problem. If they feel you acted quickly and to their satisfaction, up to 96% will do business with you again, and they will probably refer other people to you. Source: the White House Office of Consumer Affairs, Washington, DC.

- A dissatisfied customer will tell 9-15 people about it. And approximately 13% of your dissatisfied customers will tell more than 20 people about their problem. Source: the White House Office of Consumer Affairs, Washington, DC.

- Happy customers who have their problems resolved will tell 4-6 people about their positive experience. Source: the White House Office of Consumer Affairs, Washington, DC.

- 70% of complaining customers will do business with you again if you resolve the complaint in their favour. Source: Lee Resource Inc

- 95% of complaining customers will do business with you again if you resolve the complaint instantly. Source: Lee Resource Inc

- It costs five to six times as much to get a new (first time) customer as it does to keep a current one. Source: the White House Office of Consumer Affairs, Washington, DC.

- Customer loyalty can be worth up to 10 times as much as a single purchase. Source: the White House Office of Consumer Affairs, Washington, DC.

- It costs 6 times more to attract a new customer than it does to keep an old one. Source: “Understanding Customers” by Ruby Newell-Legner

- Customer loyalty is, in most cases worth 10 times the price of a single purchase. Source: “Understanding Customers” by Ruby Newell-Legner

- A typical business hears from only about 4% of its dissatisfied customers. 96% just go away and 91% will never come back. Source: “Understanding Customers” by Ruby Newell-Legner

- 13% of the people who have service problems tell 20 others. Source: “Understanding Customers” by Ruby Newell-Legner 

- "Thank you very much"  These are the four most important words you can ever say, or will ever hear.  Source:  Unknown

- SERVE, (from Latin:  servire = to serve).   To exert oneself continuously.  To render service so as to benefit, help, or promote.  To deliver in readiness.  To furnish or supply.   Synonyms:  aid, advance, help assist.

- In the real world there are YES and NO.  In SERVICE there are Yes and "May I suggest the following?"

- Before starting any shift:  Take three deep breaths.  Say:  I can do this.
Given a choice between a smiling person and one who is frowning, who would you approach?

- Tell me to what you pay attention and I will tell you who you are. Source:  Albert Einstein
If it's out of your control, don't waste time worrying about it.  Focus on those things that you CAN control.

- Never be defensive with a customer.  Never hid behind a counter or desk.  Never make excuses.  Only amateurs do that stuff.

- THANK YOU NOTES - Anybody can write one.  Everybody loves getting one.
If you are offered a company training class:  GO.

- Many forgive injuries, but no one forgives contempt.   Source:  Thomas Jefferson

- People solve problems.  Technology only helps to make the solutions faster.

- It takes more time to complain that it takes to change.

- Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.  Source:  Ralph Waldo Emerson

- Keep my words positive:  Words become my behaviors.  Keep my behaviors positive:  Behaviors become my habits.  Keep my habits positive:  Habits become my values.  Keep my values positive:  Values become my destiny.  There is no dress rehearsal:  This is one day in YOUR life.  Source:  Mahatma Gandhi

- Rule 1:  The customer is always right.  Rule 2:  If the customer is ever wrong, re-read Rule 1.  Source:  Stew Leonard

- Customer satisfaction is worthless.  Customer loyalty is priceless.   Source:  Jeffrey Gitomer

- Do what you say you are going to do, when you say you are going to do it, in the way you said you were going to do it.  Source:  Larry Winget

- If you're not serving the customer, your job is to be serving someone who is.  Source:  Jan Carlzon

- There is only one boss.  The customer.  And they can fire everybody, by spending their money somewhere else.  Source:  Sam Walton

- Do what you do so well that they will want to see it again and bring their friends.  Source:  Walt Disney

- If you don't genuinely like your customers, chances are they won't buy.  Source:  Tom Watson

Which is your favorite one?